Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Trying for Zero Brace

After hearing Linda talk about zero brace a few times and reading her recent blog along with one student's comment, in particular, I got motivated to try it with my LBI mare. Yesterday I decided to attempt circles Online with the 22' line and set it up for zero brace. I figured we'd REALLY drift because she usually pushes on the end of the line and I usually stand firm in the center of my circle and we do end up with brace. It was close to feeding time and I was playing near my paddock, so she definitely had her mind on food. After starting the session with our fun "I whistle and you come into the halter" game, I did a little lead by the tail and sideways toward, which she enjoys, and offered a couple treat rewards and then on to the circle. Well, first of all, she didn't move much, as she was more introverted and getting that look of "I'm stuck in my head" rather than punky "I don't want to", so I waited. When she came out of it, I tried again with a big send and off she went with a couple strides of trot and then back to the walk. I kept my focus on the goal of zero brace. As she came around the circle she headed on toward the barn and I went with it. She was pulling a bit and I offered no resistance. I just kept her going and came back to the original area we were playing in and started again. After doing this 5 or 6 times and keeping her moving as she went home, her expression finally started to change for brief moments as I asked for the circle. She certainly started to look interested. She was doing lots of licking and chewing and seemed to need the time for that. My direct line instincts were driving me to keep going but I was able to resist them (big accomplishment for me). I stopped when she was looking really interested and had a softer expression and just sat with her. I can't wait to see whether it made a change and to play with it again. I am finally starting to enjoy the process and not expect perfection. I feel a personal breakthrough coming on:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment